Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Check and Check...

Well, Leah hit 6 months this past week...I'm already thinking she might as well pack for college because I can't stand her getting any bigger. This also means we have reached our first goal of breastfeeding for 6 months. I feel very proud, because it has not been easy. I guess in the grand scream of things it has been fairly easy when I hear other peoples nightmare stories, BUT breastfeeding is a lot of work. I have learned a lot bout the process and in turn a lot about myself. First, I am grateful I do not have to work full time, I don't know if it would have been possible to keep up with my monster eater of  child. I am not pumping what she takes, but have plenty of time in between shifts to build up what she needs. It is a lot of work to keep the milk making going, between pumping, storing, freezing, thawing, organizing and what not...If I had to do I every day I would be going insane.  I know I will never get this time back again with Leah and I realize how lucky I am that I have the opportunity to be with her most days. I am soaking it all in. Second, I would not have made it without the support of my breastfeeding group gals...We meet every Friday and some may refer to it as the breastfeeding "cult" but no one from the outside understands. These ladies have the same passion and thoughts about the importance of breastfeeding. I feel so refreshed and renewed after Friday's group. I'm so thankful for these new friends I have made. Not to mention their cute baby's :)
Lastly, I joke about how I have become obsessed with breastfeeding and yes probably some of that is true, but it has been he most rewarding thing I have ever done. It feels good to be passionate about something because we all know I need outlets for my passions :) It feels good that I haven't given up when I have hit a few roadblocks. It feels good that I have given Leah such good heath benefits as well as a way to calm her and make her feel safe. Is she a mommas girl? You better believe it, but I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with that right now...that is how it is supposed to be. A baby with their mother...it won't be like this forever, just now. And it is worth every sacrifice, every time I decide to not be away from her, every time I pump, and every time I don't get to do what I want...I'm reminded of my happy healthy baby and I feel content.

Ok stepping off soapbox... :)

PS. I know it is not like this for every woman, just my personal story and beliefs...Im also a big believer you gotta do what you gotta do for your family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment